After getting certified level for sustainable tourism, Happy Trails will go carbon neutral from 2018 onwards and will also both reduce the company’s carbon emissions as well as offset all carbon emissions* from the tours it organizes in Indonesia, through a large tree planting program**. We already started with a limited tree planting program in cooperation with the Masarang foundation in 2016 which protects prime forests, regenerates waste land through reforestation and protects key species such as orangutans and honey bears.
The Carbon Neutral program consists of the following steps:
- 1. Reduce emissions from electricity use (in Indonesia nearly 100% generated by coal) especially from the air-conditioning of our offices as wel as the hotels we use. Going completely solar is too early as there are high upfront investment costs for which the company needs to find finance first.
- 2. Start a program with our hotel partners to reduce electricity use especially through a program to reduce the use of air-conditioning, which is the most polluting factor in land travel.
- 3. Offset all customer flights, land transport and electricity use through a tree planting program.
- 4. Talk to those partner tour operators who do not have a plan in place for CO2 offset of the long haul flight involved in the tour package.
- 5. Cooperation with colleague companies in Bali to help our hotel and transport partners to lower their emissions.
Of course the emissions of long haul holiday is something that should be offset entirely. We will encourage each of our partner to have a plan for offset CO2 emissions for all flights they organize for their clients.
Happy Trails supports the introduction of a worldwide steep price on carbon emissions, but until that is in place we will take our own measures
The carbon offsets will mitigate more than xxx tons of carbon emissions per year through the almost 10.000 travelers per year for whom we organize the tours through our beautiful destination.
*Offsetting carbon emissions is a way to reduce the greenhouse gas emissions to zero through planting trees which over their lifetime stores CO2 from the atmosphere in the growth of trees. So while we cannot avoid emissions at one point, we take counter act or offset them with these activities.
**for emission calculations we refer you to the website.